- At the Boconnoc Steam Fair, 2016
This Fowler compound ploughing engine was built in 1918, 12NHP, 15 tons and was delivered with a full set of
ploughing equipment for a cost of £2580 to Samuel Jackson and Son, Crewe.
26th August 2016
Used for ploughing, cultivating and and dredging until the early 1950s.
In 1963 it was sold to H T Brown of Construction and Excavation (Tettenhall) Ltd. Wolverhampton and used for dredging until 1969/70.
It was purchased by the present owner, Geoff Westlake of Bodmin, Cornwall in 1978. It has been thoroughly overhauled by the present owner. I think it looks superb!
26th August 2016
N.B. This site is currently undergoing some updating, while doing this I am trying to minimise problems of navigation and apologise for any difficulties users may be having.
These web pages are intended to provide learning support material for some of the topics found in
an honours degree course in mechanical engineering. These notes were developed over a number
of years while the author was lecturing at the University of Plymouth. One of the advantages of web pages
is that it is easy to incorporate interactive material in the form of Java applets and these
pages contain several.
In 2008 the author wrote and published a book  on mechanical engineering design, with the theme of automotive engines, which was used to draw together some of the subjects that make up mechanical engineering while providing a focus to encourage student involvement. These web pages will complement the book, which includes much more detail and background than is contained in these pages.
The topics currently covered in this site:
2. Interactive Java Applets
Instructions for using the applets is given on the web page that loads the applet. While it is usually preferable to use SI units for all engineering calculations, this often leads to inconvenient data entry, involving lots of zeros! For this reason the required input is often NOT in SI units and the unit to be used is specified in the adjacent label at the left of the input box.
Most of the applets would run within the main browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, Chrome - sometimes needing a Java plugin installed / activated) without difficulty.
From version Java 7 update 51 security has been enhanced and Applets without certificates will not run without a work around. My Applets do not have such certificates, but the following steps will enable them to run:
Design and Stress Analysis
Scilab is a 'Free and Open Source Software' package which has similar capabilities to the Matlab and Simulink package. Users with experience of Matlab Simulink will have little difficulty using Scilab (which incorporates Xcos, which is very similar to Simulink).
I have 'translated' the Java Applet to assist with journal bearing design (see 'Lubrication', above) into
Scilab and further information about this (including how to use this) is given:
Notes on Computation of a Journal Bearing With Hydrodynamic Lubrication
I plan to add additional resources in due course.
3. References relating to Design
1. ** 'Mechanical Engineering Design Notes - Theme: Automotive Engines', by David Grieve, 2008, 305 pages. ISBN: 978-0-9560037-0-6. Available £12.50 (including P+P) from the author, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. ** 'Mechanical Engineering Design', by J E Shigley and C R Mischke, 5th Ed., McGraw Hill.
3. 'Engineering Design', by Dieter, McGraw Hill, 1989.
4. 'Total Design', by S Pugh, Addison Wesley, 1991.
5. 'Case Studies in Engineering Design', by C Matthews, Arnold, 1998.
6. 'Mechanical Behaviour of Materials', by N E Dowling, Prentice - Hall, 1993.
7. 'Composites - Design Manual', by J A Quinn, J A Quinn Associates, Liverpool, L25 4SY, 2002.
8. ** 'Mechanical Design', by Peter R N Childs, Arnold, 1998.
9. 'Machine Elements in Mechanical Design', by R L Mott, Prentice - Hall Inc., 3rd ed. 1999.
10. 'Design of Machinery', by R L Norton, McGraw - Hill International Editions, 1999.
11. 'The Engineering Design Process', A Ertas and J C Jones, John Wiley and Sons, 1993.
12. 'Engineer's Toolkit - Engineering Ethics', by C Mitcham and R S Duvall, Prentice Hall, 2000.
13. 'An Engineer's Responsibility for Safety, Safety by Design', The Hazards Forum, 1996, ISBN: 0 9525103 1 6.
14. 'Modern Ceramic Engineering - Properties, Processing and Use in Design', D W Richerson, CRC Taylor and Francis, 2006, ISBN: 1-57444-693-2
Specifically about Engines / Vehicles:
Web site Excellent animations of a wide variety of engines by Matt Keveney.
Web Site How Stuff Works - Auto
15. 'The Motor Vehicle', Newton, Steeds and Garrett, various editions.
16. 'Bosch Automotive Handbook', H Bauer(Ed.), Published by Bosch, distributed by SAE, 2000.
17. 'Gasoline Fuel-Injection Systems L-Jetronic', Technical Instruction, Bosch, 1999, ISBN: 3-934584-29-2.
18 'Engines, an Introduction', J L Lumley, Cambridge University Press, 1999, ISBN: 0-521-64489-5.
19. 'Internal Combustion Engines', C R Ferguson and A T Kirkpatrick, John Wiley and Sons, 2nd Ed. 2001, ISBN: 0-471-35617-4. The publishers web site has some useful Java applets.
20. 'The Romance of Engines', by T Suzuki, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1997.
21. 'R-2800 - Pratt & Whitney's Dependable Masterpiece', by G White, SAE, 2001.
Under Water Vehicles:
22. 'An Introduction to ROV Operations' by G Last and P Williams, Oil Field Publications Ltd.
23. 'Handbook for ROV Pilot Technicians', by C Bell, M Bayliss, R Warburton, Oil Field Publications Ltd.
24. 'Submersible Vehicle Design Systems', by E E Allmendinger, 1990.
25. 'Design Aspects of Under Water Intervention Systems', by J G Hawley, M L Nuckols, G T Reader, I J Potter, Pub. Kendall Hunt, 1996.
26. 'Without Hot Air', by David J C MacKay, 2009. Free online: http://www.withouthotair.com. A lot of useful information on energy.
27. 'Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain', by W C Young, 7th Ed. McGraw Hill.
** Indicates the text includes tables / charts from Raimondi and Boyd for plain hydrodynamic journal bearing design.
Dr David J Grieve, CEng, MIMechE., 26th January 2015.
Contact the Author
Please contact me for comments and / or corrections or to purchase the book, at: email@example.com